2021 – 2022 School Year
For over 50 years, The Gateway School has transformed the lives of bright children who experience academic difficulty as a result of language-based learning disabilities (e.g., dyslexia, reading and writing disorders), attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), executive function disorder, or auditory processing difficulties. Located on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, Gateway enrolls 180 students between the ages of 5-14. In small classes with a low student-to-teacher ratio, faculty and therapists meet students where they are, individualize instruction accordingly, and develop them into skilled, strategic, independent learners who are capable of advocating for themselves and who are prepared to transition into mainstream school and life.
The Gateway Middle School, serving 5th to 8th grade students, seeks candidates for the 2021-2022 school year who are enthusiastic about joining a collaborative teaching team, participating in curriculum development, overseeing the academic and social growth of a group of advisees, and assisting in school life generally. The English Language Arts teacher will join our Middle School team as a teacher and homeroom advisor, leading two ELA groups. The ideal candidate will be an experienced teacher with a background in English Language Arts, Special Education, Elementary Education, and/or Secondary Education and a commitment to teaching students with language-based learning disabilities.
- Master’s degree in Special Education or Education required
- Bachelor’s degree in Childhood Education, Secondary Education, or English strongly preferred
- A minimum of two years of experience teaching students age 8 or older
- Independent school and special education teaching experience preferred
- Training in and/or experience teaching using Preventing Academic Failure and Teaching Basic Writing Skills preferred
- Effective classroom management, communication, and organizational skills
- Experience implementing multisensory, explicit instruction
- Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to, and experience with, diversity, equity, and/or inclusion work are encouraged to apply
The Gateway School offers a competitive compensation package and a comprehensive professional development program. Applicants are required to submit in one PDF a resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references that includes email and phone contact information. Please submit by email to Posting125@gatewayschool.org and indicate the position of interest in the email subject line. The Gateway School is an equal opportunity employer.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
It is the policy of The Gateway School to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, age, disability (including pregnancy-related conditions), marital status, familial or caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health decisions, predisposing genetic characteristics, genetic information, criminal history, arrest record, veteran or military status (disabled, recently separated and other protected and armed forces services veterans), or any other characteristic protected by law.