Late August – November 2021
For over 50 years, The Gateway School has transformed the lives of bright children who experience academic difficulty as a result of language-based learning disabilities (e.g., dyslexia, reading and writing disorders), attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), executive function disorder, or auditory processing difficulties. Located on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, Gateway enrolls 180 students between the ages of 5-14. In small classes with a low student-to-teacher ratio, faculty and therapists meet students where they are, individualize instruction accordingly, and develop them into skilled, strategic, independent learners who are capable of advocating for themselves and who are prepared to transition into mainstream school and life.
The Gateway Lower School, serving students ages 5-10, is seeking nurturing and collaborative individuals with a Special Education and Early Childhood/Elementary background to join our teaching team. The Head Teacher Leave Replacement develops, implements, and assesses the efficacy of instruction in all subjects. The position involves daily collaboration with the Assistant Teacher and other professionals. The ideal candidate is an experienced independent school teacher with a strong desire to work in a collaborative environment and a commitment to teaching students with language-based learning disabilities.
- Master’s degree in Special Education and current NYS teaching certification
- Minimum of two years of teaching experience
- Independent school experience preferred
- Knowledge of the cognitive, linguistic, and developmental needs of elementary students
- Training in and experience teaching using Preventing Academic Failure and Teaching Basic Writing Skills, Singapore and/or Stern Math preferred
- Strong classroom management, communication, and organizational skills
- Experience implementing multisensory, explicit instruction designed to meet the needs of students’ instructional needs
- Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to, and experience with, diversity, equity, and/or inclusion work are encouraged to apply
The Gateway School offers a competitive compensation package and a comprehensive professional development program. Applicants are required to submit in one PDF a resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references that includes email and phone contact information. Please submit by email to Posting135@gatewayschool.org and indicate the position of interest in the email subject line. The Gateway School is an equal opportunity employer.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
It is the policy of The Gateway School to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, age, disability (including pregnancy-related conditions), marital status, familial or caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health decisions, predisposing genetic characteristics, genetic information, criminal history, arrest record, veteran or military status (disabled, recently separated and other protected and armed forces services veterans), or any other characteristic protected by law.