2023 – 2024 School Year
Starting July 2023
For almost 60 years, The Gateway School has transformed the lives of bright children who experience academic difficulty as a result of language-based learning disabilities (e.g., dyslexia, reading and writing disorders), attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), executive function disorder, or auditory processing difficulties. Located on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, Gateway enrolls approximately 150 students between the ages of 5-14. In small classes with a low student-to-teacher ratio, faculty and therapists meet students where they are, individualize instruction accordingly, and develop them into skilled, strategic, independent learners who are capable of advocating for themselves and who are prepared to transition into mainstream school and life.
The Gateway School is seeking a School Secretary to join our team and provide main desk reception and secretarial/administrative support to the school community.
- Monitor the arrival and attendance of students and staff and actively assist with student dismissals and bus coordination
- Greet and assist students, parents, and other visitors, both in person and on the telephone
- Answer telephone calls, provide assistance, and transfer calls to appropriate staff
- Provide a wide variety of administrative support to school administrators and the health office
- Sort and distribute mail. Copy, collate, and coordinate mailings.
- Perform data entry and update spreadsheets
- Perform other related duties as required
- High School diploma required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Two years of related secretarial or administrative experience
- Proficiency in Google Workspace and Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- Excellent reception, customer service, communication, and organizational skills
- Ability to problem-solve and juggle multiple tasks
- Experience in a school setting is helpful
- Demonstrated commitment to, and experience with, diversity, equity, and/or inclusion work
This is a 12-month-a-year, full-time position. Salary range is $50,000 – $60,000. Compensation package includes generous paid time off. To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Posting120@gatewayschool.org and indicate the position of interest in the email subject line. The Gateway School is an equal opportunity employer.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
It is the policy of The Gateway School to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, age, disability (including pregnancy-related conditions), marital status, familial or caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health decisions, predisposing genetic characteristics, genetic information, criminal history, arrest record, veteran or military status (disabled, recently separated and other protected and armed forces services veterans), or any other characteristic protected by law.