For over 50 years, The Gateway School has transformed the lives of bright children who experience academic difficulty as a result of language-based learning disabilities (e.g., dyslexia, reading and writing disorders), attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), executive function disorder, visual-spatial or auditory processing difficulties, and/or gross and fine motor coordination issues. Located on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, Gateway will expand in 2019-2020 and enroll 205 students between the ages of 5-14. In small classes with a low student-to-teacher ratio, faculty and therapists meet students where they are, individualize instruction accordingly, and develop them into skilled, strategic, independent learners who are capable of advocating for themselves and who are prepared to transition into mainstream schools.
Reporting to the Director of Middle School, the part-time School Secretary provides main desk reception and secretarial/administrative support to The Gateway School community.
- Monitor the arrival and attendance of students and staff, and actively assist with student dismissals and bus coordination
- Greet and assist students, parents, and other visitors, both in person and on the telephone
- Answer telephone calls, provide assistance, and transfer calls to appropriate staff
- Provide a wide variety of administrative support to school administrators and assist with special projects
- Sort and distribute mail; copy, collate, and coordinate mailings
- Perform data entry and update spreadsheets
- Perform other related duties as required
- High school diploma required; bachelor’s degree preferred
- Two years of related secretarial or administrative experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Excellent reception, customer service, communication, and organizational skills
- Ability to problem solve and juggle multiple tasks
- Experience in a school setting is helpful
Competitive compensation package includes generous paid time off. To apply, please email your resume and cover letter, which must include your salary requirements, to Posting125@gatewayschool.org and indicate position of interest in email subject line. The Gateway School is an equal opportunity employer.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
It is the policy of The Gateway School to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, age, disability (including pregnancy-related conditions), marital status, familial or caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking, sexual orientation, predisposing genetic characteristics, genetic information, criminal history, arrest record, veteran or military status (disabled, recently separated and other protected and armed forces services veterans), or any other characteristic protected by law.