For over 50 years, The Gateway School has transformed the lives of bright children who experience academic difficulty as a result of language-based learning disabilities (e.g., dyslexia, reading and writing disorders), attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), executive function disorder, or auditory processing difficulties. Located on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, Gateway enrolls approximately 160 students between the ages of 5-14. In small classes with a low student-to-teacher ratio, faculty and therapists meet students where they are, individualize instruction accordingly, and develop them into skilled, strategic, independent learners who are capable of advocating for themselves and who are prepared to transition into mainstream school and life.
Reporting to the Director of Safety and Facilities, the Custodian will clean and maintain the school facility and help create a welcoming environment for our students. The ideal candidate will ensure that the school is immaculate and the bathrooms, offices, and classrooms are cleaned daily.
- Clean classrooms and offices according to schedule, including desks, furniture, and windows. Vacuum, mop, and wax/buff floors; dust/clean office furniture.
- Clean, monitor, and replenish bathrooms on a daily basis. Disinfect sinks and toilet bowls and sweep and mop floors.
- Set up and break down rooms for special events
- Respond to facilities-related requests from staff in a prompt and courteous manner
- Alert supervisor of any facilities-related deficiencies or safety hazards encountered during regular rounds
- Perform special projects during school breaks, such as light repairs and deep cleaning
- Respond to maintenance and emergency calls
- Responsible for trash removal and recycling
- Other duties as required
- High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
- Prior experience working as a Custodian required; experience working in a school or similar setting preferred
- Strong commitment to safety and quality
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities to ensure deadlines are met
- Can handle heavy equipment and machinery used in cleaning
- Knowledge of cleaning chemicals, proper storage, and disposal methods
- Willingness to complete any required safety training
- Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to, and experience with, diversity, equity, and/or inclusion work are encouraged to apply
Work schedule: Monday – Friday 2:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. Competitive compensation package includes generous paid time off. To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to: Posting195@gatewayschool.org. The Gateway School is an equal opportunity employer.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
It is the policy of The Gateway School to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, age, disability (including pregnancy-related conditions), marital status, familial or caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health decisions, predisposing genetic characteristics, genetic information, criminal history, arrest record, veteran or military status (disabled, recently separated and other protected and armed forces services veterans), or any other characteristic protected by law.