2021 – 2022 School Year
For over 50 years, The Gateway School has transformed the lives of bright children who experience academic difficulty as a result of language-based learning disabilities (e.g., dyslexia, reading and writing disorders), attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), executive function disorder, or auditory processing difficulties. Located on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, Gateway enrolls approximately 180 students between the ages of 5-14. In small classes with a low student-to-teacher ratio, faculty and therapists meet students where they are, individualize instruction accordingly, and develop them into skilled, strategic, independent learners who are capable of advocating for themselves and who are prepared to transition into mainstream school and life.
The Gateway School seeks a full-time Art Teacher to teach visual arts classes for Lower School students, ages 5-10, and Middle School students in grades 5 to 8. The Art Teacher will develop curriculum in the arts, including painting, drawing, and sculpting, and will collaborate with other faculty. The Art Teacher will also be responsible for creating the yearbook. The ideal candidate will have related teaching experience and a commitment to teaching students with language-based learning disabilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Art Education or related field required
- Master’s degree in Art Education or related field preferred
- A minimum of two years of related teaching experience
- Independent school and special education teaching experience preferred
- Experience teaching both digital arts and traditional visual arts such as drawing, painting, and sculpture
- Strong classroom management, communication, and organizational skills
- Enthusiasm for learning and joining a creative, devoted team of educators
- Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to, and experience with, diversity, equity, and/or inclusion work are encouraged to apply
The Gateway School offers a competitive compensation package and a comprehensive professional development program. Applicants are required to submit in one PDF a resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references that includes email and phone contact information. Please submit by email to Posting125@gatewayschool.org and indicate the position of interest in the email subject line. The Gateway School is an equal opportunity employer.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
It is the policy of The Gateway School to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, age, disability (including pregnancy-related conditions), marital status, familial or caregiver status, status as a victim of domestic violence, sex offenses, or stalking, sexual orientation, sexual and reproductive health decisions, predisposing genetic characteristics, genetic information, criminal history, arrest record, veteran or military status (disabled, recently separated and other protected and armed forces services veterans), or any other characteristic protected by law.